Present Progressive: 3.27.2006

Walk a Mile In My (Dress) Shoes

Today, I retired my dress shoes.

In an unceremonious event, standing in front of locker #42 at the Club, I slipped off my dress shoes for the final time. Taking my right foot and placing it on the back of my left, I applied just enough pressure to slide my left shoe off. With one down, I sat on the bench and with both hands pulled my right shoe off. For the last time. Officially retired. It was approximately 5:13pm.

I would like to think this particular pair of dress shoes had an unusually long life. If I remember correctly, I purchased this pair in fall of 2000. They have served me proudly over the past 5 1/2 years:

During my two years at Indiana University, they helped me stand strong as I presented my graduate research to my peers. They accompanied me as a Judicial Officer for the University, and most importantly walked me across the stage as I was being Hooded, receiving my Master's Degree.

They have been to every job interview since 2000. They have helped me walk confidently into my first day for 4 new jobs during that time. I've danced through 15 of my friend's weddings with these shoes on my feet. They have traveled me through professional conferences in Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia, Albuquerque, Minneapolis and Indianapolis. Have shoes, will travel.

They are worn. They show signs of age and fatigue. Unraveled stitching, several lacerations, and I'm on the third pair of laces. Inside, where my feet rest, I have worn off most of the leather layering. Even some of the white foam cushion is exposed.

The soles show the many miles walked. The right shoe exhibits uneven wear, a tribute to how I place my foot down when I walk. They no longer protect me from the wet Wisconsin weather, a crack in the sole allows moisture and the occasional shrapnel of sand or salt from a winter storm into the shoe.

They are currently sitting next to me on my red couch. I'm not sure what I'll do with them now. I can only think of one way to show my appreciation: I have purchased the exact same pair. I had been searching for several months, and finally found them at Famous Footwear in Whitefish Bay. I've had them for a week now, but haven't had bravery to wear them. Tomorrow is the day. I only hope they will live up to their ancestors.

I have left the laces tied.


Listening To: Damien Rice
Reading: Suburban Safari-A Year on the Lawn by Hannah Holmes

3 Comments:

At Monday, 27 March, 2006, Blogger LetsGoThrow said...

ancistors? ancestors.

Word.

 
At Friday, 31 March, 2006, Blogger Steve-O said...

Thanks teach!

 
At Thursday, 13 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a pair of running shoes that I trained in 420 miles one summer then ran 25.5 more...I bought them to finish something and couldn't retire them til I did. So they ran through Europe, and back through Mke. After more than 1000 miles they finished the last 26.2 - through all that, one pair of laces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home